Aviation In Canada

Friday, April 22, 2005

Palm EFIS

I've been enjoying the use of a Palm handheld computer for a while now. One of the applications I have was built just for me by a new programmer looking for some experience, and I use it to track on and off times, as well as HOBBS meter readings and fuel when I go flying. As much as a technology freak as I am, imagine how fascinated I was to see this:

http://www.leftseatsimulations.com/palmefis.htm

This little piece of software hooks up to you computer to provide real time moving map display as well as a primary flight display in digital format for your flight path within Microsoft's Flight Simulator 2004. I can't help but wonder if such a product is available for real world use with a GPS connection. I successfully connected both (one at a time) of my GPS units to my Palm a while ago, and I know the ability exists. There probably already is a program out there to do this, and I just haven't seen it yet. In any case, what a neat idea. I may just have to try this out for fun.