Aviation In Canada

Thursday, March 17, 2005

Russian Airliner Crash

Yesterday afternoon, an AN-24 crashed 3-4nm short of the Varanei airport, killing 29 people aboard, and critically injuring another 10. Billed in the media as the second worst aviation accident in Russia, after the two nearly-simultaneous bombings a few years back, this crash occured above the Arctic Circle where the termperature was a bone chilling -24°C.

I always think about what kind of environment I would end up in after a crash or a forced landing. Should I survive the "touchdown", would I be adequately dressed for survival? I guess I'm truly paranoid about the reliability of my engine and airplane. I guess it's a good thing that the crash was so close to the airport, or the outcome might have been different for those that survived the crash, too. Here's to the rescuers of those who made it out!