Aviation In Canada

Monday, July 11, 2005

Airshow in Saskatchewan

Not to be left out in commentary about the incident, I have to add my words. I don't think I can say much about the accident itself, simply because words are not enough to describe the incident. The loss the loved ones feel, the emotions the spectators felt, the tragedy of it all.

The only thing I can say is the reporting. They hit that sore spot of mine again. CTV NewsNet reported the incident, showed the footage, and then closed the item with, "... It is not known whether either of the pilots attempted to eject." I'm sorry, but I feel deeply saddened by the network's reporting. It's almost as if they didn't even consult to to find out about the incident, the airplanes, or the people involved, but just added supposition as if from an "on staff expert". They don't have ejector seats, or parachutes, on these planes. It's just that simple. It just leaves me feeling like the reporters don't care enough. They got their story, their footage, and their paycheques, and that's good enough for them. I don't know how to describe my feelings about this. The media sucks in aviation.

For those who aren't aware of the nature of the accident, a link was sent to me earlier about it, from the National Post, of all newspapers, so I thought I'd pass it along for a place to start. My hat's off to these pilots, and my best wishes to their families and friends, most of all their fellow pilots who give their all, and sometimes all of them, to entertain us.

http://www.canada.com/national/nationalpost/news/story.html?id=6914b672-d419-4864-bf52-2aac7f50f3a5